Firewall Problem (already been discussed), but...

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Postby Substance » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:56 pm

Hey,
well i know that kaillera cant function behind a firewall, but y advertise that it does?

At ur home page it has this:
Kaillera features:
- Small, fast and efficient C++ code.
- UDP use for better latency.
- Intelligent networking cache code.
- Multi-platform support.
- Low to no lag for players with good ping.
- Works through firewalls. :sad:
- LANs/WANs support.
Substance

Postby Abe User » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:48 pm

how? i wanna know!
Abe User

Postby JMV » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:07 pm

It does not work through all firewalls. Because Kaillera server await connection on specified port (eg 29000), but established connection with player on diffrent random UDP port.

So, if there is port 29000 mapped to allow connection on this port, random generated port is mostly not mapped (because its random, and allow random port meens shutdown firewall)

So, if you have "good" firewall, which care of source/destination UDP packet, this firewall could never let Kaillera packet get through..

So... Kaillera DOES NOT WORK with ALL firewall. But only with these, which can be set for special "aplication" (NOT port only) to work with UDP packet without limitation.

Develop team must know about it, because it was disccused for a long time, only help is to make version of kaillera to work on specified port range, which can be set by firewall option..

But whole year is gone, and no new version was released :-(
JMV

Postby Mystiq » Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:16 pm

Share in my pain and I'll lead the path. But the path leads to hell and there's no turning back.

Hell, Level 1: Barbie Dolls, Barnie, Monitors Tinted Pink and No Kaillera Through A Firewall,
Mystiq
Cylian

Where can I set....

Postby blabus » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:52 am

>- Works through firewalls. :sad:

Where can I set my firewall connection (SOCKS4 and IP and port 1080) in Kaillera Client 0.9 (in Kawaks)??

Thank You!
blabus

Postby FuguTabetai » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:09 am

You can't. Kaillera does not work through firewalls (unless you turn the firewall off.)
[url=http://FuguTabetai.com/]
[/url]
FuguTabetai
Super-Helper-Helpydude

Postby FuguTabetai » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:16 am

Yes, but that is the same as turning the firewall off for that machine.

Alternatively, you could port forward all UDP ports to the machine, which should work. (You also need port 27888 I think for TCP.)
[url=http://FuguTabetai.com/]
[/url]
FuguTabetai
Super-Helper-Helpydude

Postby Kurgan » Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:39 am

So something like Norton Internet Security 2002 could be configed for it, eh?
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby dyna » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:05 pm

Hi,

I'm new to kaiilera, winua-kaillera to be exact.
But since i can't find kaillerasrv-0.82-linux i tried to portfw to windows, came here and find out it can't be done....really a shame.

But just for people like SC who doesn't seem to understand firewalls:
A DMZ solution could work...just that
1) Not everyone has multiple IP's
2) You would have to allow everything to that machine, thus make it firewallless...

I hardly call this a 'good firewall setup'

Besides i know a much better way then to open up a DMZ machine, IF i only had more IP's than one...
dyna

Postby toqer » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:53 pm

Ports are just like ports in a shipyard, your ship arrives in a port, where it's goods is unloaded onto a truck for your computer to chew on.

There's open ports, which any ship can try and park it's ass in. If you have smart truckers(daemons), they'll only grab your goods. Sometimes however, Evil pirates will try and trick your truckers, with goods that look like your goods, but inside one of the boxes there's a pirate or two waiting to take the truck over. They buffer your truck driver with their swords until their blood overflows into the street, at which point the pirates will take your truck, drive back to your company and rape/pillage/burn everything.

Closing ports is sort of a way to just stick your head in the sand. What you really need are smarter truckers, to kick the pirates asses.

Despite kaillera being a trucker of small stature (26k?) his dedication to doing his job is so strong, that when the pirates jump into the front cab of the kaillera truck, he just keeps driving. They can monkey around, wet willy his ear, try and distract his driving by calling out the names of out of state plates and punching him in the arm, yet he just keeps driving never veering off course crashing the truck into other companies (programs)

Unless you're running a box with unknown services on it (most windows boxen don't display all services) you should be O.K. For that matter, modern XP boxes are fairly secure, just make sure that if you're running web services on it you have it patched up (too much code red running around)

HONK!
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Viet Cong » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:52 pm

From what I've heard, I believe firewalls are supposed to limit outside access to a computer that it is running on. So I find it funny that someone would complain about a free client designed to allow multiple computers to connect to each other for online gaming, would complain that it doesnt effectivily defeat the purpose of their firewall. It's like saying "Why cant I smell this rose, with my nose clip on"
When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby gear323 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:10 pm

Yep, good point cong. It is not that hard to disable your firewall when you want to play and then just re-enable it when your done. Besides, that is eaiser to do than drive your butt to the local arcade and pay $$ to play the same game...Well, that is If the arcade near you still exists. :oops:
View my website here:
http://www.qualitykingdom.com
gear323

Postby [LLJK]ChairmanTak » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:44 pm

gear323 wrote:Yep, good point cong. It is not that hard to disable your firewall when you want to play and then just re-enable it when your done. Besides, that is eaiser to do than drive your butt to the local arcade and pay $$ to play the same game...Well, that is If the arcade near you still exists. :oops:

Assuming you have control over the firewall. Not everyone uses personal firewalls; I'm behind a huge university-wide firewall right now, for example.
[LLJK]ChairmanTak

Postby Viet Cong » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:48 pm

See so whether you have control or not, a firewall is installed to keep specific signals out. Being part of an organization that has one going means Kaillera isn't for those members.
When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby dyna » Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:37 am

lol, omg SC u really are one, aren't u? :P

1) Well, first off, if you want to insult someone, you need to learn English. - Ran through spelling checker, except for unknown words, 0 errors found...

2) EVERYONE that has multiple computers on a network has multiple IP addresses - OFCOURSE i was talking about the internet side...why portfw/dmz if u want to play this on local lan....DUH...
but ofcourse everyone with some real knowledge knew first hand i was talking about the INTERNET SIDE

3) Congratulations, you just figured out what DMZ'ing is! You get a cookie. - Nope, but let me teach you....since u don't seem to know...
DMZ is a zone, which is free from the local lan, it has nothing to do with wide-open computers....just that if a hackers takes your DMZ, he can't get through to your LAN.
This doesn't mean that u can put machines in the DMZ wide-open....

4) Bottom line is that I provided a solution. Yes, it's a poop solution, but for people that are having problems, it works. Which is more than I can say about any solutions that you've provided.......oh, wait....you haven't provided any. - I hardly doubt that...IF people would have mulitple IP's (ON THEIR INTERNET SIDE) they would of find out ways to play it anyway without your help...
And about that solution, there isn't any, so how can i provide one? (And not acting like i provided one, like you)
(And if there was one, i woudn't have come to this forum in the first place, duh)

5) Listen up, people. If you're going to try to insult someone, do your mojob homework first. - whatever....
For one i didn't attack you, i only said u didn't seem to understand firewalls which i just proven...
Second i told the people not to listen to people like you, who think and act like they have alot of knowledge, while obviously they don't...
so plz do yourself a favor and go play a game...

And to Viet Cong: this topic was about playing behind a firewall, not on the firewall machine itself.
dyna

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback