2nd Master server?!

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

2nd Master server?!

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:31 am

This may get a little lengthy, but here goes.

1st - I notice that the Kaillera master server keeps going down. I would be willing to run a 2nd master server on my server if you would be interested in something like that. My server sits on multiple OC-12's within the CV1 backbone.

2nd - My short list of enhancement suggestions for the Kaillera Server. This is just stuff I personally would like to see incorperated into the Kaillera client, and would like to get feedback from the rest of the Kaillera users out there. I understand you are very busy with Nullsoft, and I wish I could code to help out hehe.

- Chatroom moderation/operators/kick ability/bot/registration
-- Chatroom Ops would be good
-- Ability to kick while playing in game would be sweet (although not very practical)

- Enhanced user interface
this is all purely cosmetic but in my opinion would enhance the user/client experience a lot.
-- Add the option to customize colors eg. B/G-Black Text-White,
-- Add some graphical buttons to replace Chat/Join/Create buttons, etc.
-- Add the ability the resize/maximize the chatroom window.
-- Add graphical gameroom Icons to games that have been created/and or are in progress
-- User avatars/icons

- Ability to join games already in progress
-- Not sure if you already plan to do this as I see in the software it says not supported "yet"

- AutoDL of roms
-- If one person starts a game, and another joins, but does not have the r0m, then the r0m would be automatically downloaded to the 2nd client, then the game would auto sync and begin play. Im not sure if this is possible due to legallities, but would be an AWESOME feature.

- Channel/Chatroom Info/Topic
-- This kind of goes with the moderation/Ops deal, but the ability to set a static topic would own (similar to IRC)
-- Ability to add a small picture to the rooms topic that would display on join.

These are just personal things I would love to see incorperated into Kaillera. I live by this piece of software. If theres anything I can do to help out, just let me know.

Kick ass work on kaillera man!!
Rob

Postby toqer » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:16 pm

Hey are you rob of isopalace?

Oh and I think the kaillera server is now being hosted at AOL, they have ungodly amounts of bandwidth there :D
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:11 pm

yep thats me! :D
Rob

butt-t0rrent integration with kaillera :D

Postby toqer » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:51 am

If -C was willing to do a minor rewrite and tell us how to organize things.....

And you were willing to run a butt-t0rrent tracker......

http://bitconjurer.org/butt-t0rrent/

When a user starts a game, not only should the client report to the master server "Hey I'm starting a game!" It should also run the B*tt0r3nt "completedir" command on the r0m file and send that to the tracker, so the user is sharing it on a P2p network until a game is started.

On the reverse side of the coin, if someone doesn't have the r0m and they do the right click "more info" instead of linking to a mame.dk link, it would link to a butt-t0rrent link so they could begin downloading the game.

Popular games would get hella bandwidth, would be neat to see it implemented.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Vonism » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:21 am

Oh and I think the kaillera server is now being hosted at AOL, they have ungodly amounts of bandwidth there

?????? what is this kaillera and AOL thingy toqer??? aol and kaillera, aol and kaillera, aol and kaillera!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if u know something PLEASE SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US. STOP TEASING ME!!!!! :lol: .
its a massive conspiracy 8) . now if u excuss me i need to get back to xbox LIVE!!!
Vonism
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby toqer » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:53 pm

Christophe works for nullsoft, who is owned by AOL time warner. He has access to networks with bandwidth wayyy beyond our understanding.
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Viet Cong » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:44 pm

When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:18 pm

Back at the original topic at hand.

Kaillera Server is a double edged sword of extacy and agony. It has been bliss for a while, until I go into my own server to play a game, and see people trying to clone flood the server and bring it down on a daily basis.

At the bare minimum, something HAS to be done about moderating the channels. At least make it only allow 1 connection per IP, how difficult would that be?

I hate to see it when people start on something so mojob incredible and never finish it. I mean this software gives me a rock solid hardon at times, and then 10 minutes later, I have to go break something or somebody because I am so damn frustrated at its incompleteness.

Im begging you.... please please please work on the poop, or open the source. My balls couldnt get any more blue.
Rob

Postby Viet Cong » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:19 pm

The main problem is the admins of most servers arent normally around. I assume most put the servers up to advertise a site they have. What admins of servers must do is set the cfg file for optimum loser proofing. Message limit should be set to: 5 message in 10 second, ping should be: 95 ms and under. Right there admins cut out the spammers who are mostly high pings (ping over 100 ms is useless to play anyway) and nobody can flood if the server flood limit is set as above. The next client should come with the settings default to as above cause most admins as I said just throw up the server to advertise, which I respect, it gives everyone somewhere to play, its just they dont set the cfg file.
When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby FuguTabetai » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:36 am

Viet Cong wrote:The main problem is the admins of most servers arent normally around. I assume most put the servers up to advertise a site they have.

I set up a server to play games. I don't think you are getting much "advertising" by setting up a kaillera server - this is a small audience.

fugu
[url=http://FuguTabetai.com/]
[/url]
FuguTabetai
Super-Helper-Helpydude

Postby Vonism » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:56 am

well the main reason i stop going is bc all the server is not stable and i should not complain. so i'm not but thats is one of the main reason!!!
Vonism
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:47 am

why put bandaids and scotch tape on it when with a few hours of tweaks and work, it could be something so next level, it would make aliens shake in thier boots?

there are a lot of legit gamers out there that want to play that have pings over 100. it sux to see the author lose passion. incorperating something as simple as chatroom operators, nick reg database, and 1 connect per IP, would stop ALL OF IT

Kaillera is a seed inside a tiny box that is not being allowed to grow. Judging from the looks of it, Im assuming christophe will never see these posts, so I will stop badgering you guys about this stuff. :drinking:
Rob

Postby agumon » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:06 pm

One game that is actually still playable with pings over 100 is bomberman. I suggest you try it. 8)
agumon

Postby Viet Cong » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:00 pm

If you look at frequency of how the client is updated, I believe the author likes to do major updates per interval. The last client gave us ping banning, motd, exit message to name a few. Instead of releasing one little update every 3 weeks, the author makes one massive update. He sees all of the suggestions that are being made, and in due time the next client will address players needs. Always remember, its a project done on his free time that is as good as a commercially funded venture. You can see how people quickly lose site of what something is all about. Emulation, to bring back days of real programming. Kaillera, to bring back days of competition on those real programs. I feel if there is a suggestion to be made for the Kaillera client, it should be made without the added begging and offers of rewards, like this is some lets make a deal show.

Kaillera suggestion: The idle/playing status should update while logged into server.
When Skills Ruled
Viet Cong

Postby Vonism » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:39 pm

i will come back to kaillera when this baby is out SVC!!!!
http://www.gamespot.com/neo/action/snkv ... 23545.html[/url]
Vonism
"Kaillera For Life"

Next

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback