[download]mame32kv0.67

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Postby Kurgan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:13 pm

The mame32 source is on http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa
The mame source is on http://www.mame.net
The mame32K source is on TFR's site (not on the kaillera main page yet)
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Maniac » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:18 pm

sentric,
I actaully updated the method in the post. Just go to default options press Ok and the games should run per mame execution. I already did apply the default options to all games but that's only if I'm installing from scatch.
Maniac

Postby Fignutz » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:38 pm

sentric wrote:You can set options without having to change options everytime you run the .exe

here's a general explanation:

1. open mame32k.exe and go to Options/Default Options

2. make any changes, hit 'Apply' then 'OK'

3. go to Options/Reset To Default, check 'All Games To Use Default Options', then hit 'OK' and it should prompt you to reset and close mame32k.exe

After it closes and you run mame32k.exe again, your options will be set for all games. If you want different options for certain games, just right-click on the game title in your list and go to 'Properties' to make option changes for just that 1 game. :fadein:
:drinking: the options stay as i set but i still must go to defalt game options befor i can run any game :cry:
Fignutz

Postby Kurgan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:41 pm

Now that I know what you're talking about, I don't seem to have that problem.

I can launch games directly offilne or online without having to check the options beforehand.

And the only game that won't run properly that ran before is Splatterhouse.

I'm using Win98SE of course, so maybe its just an XP related problem.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Fignutz » Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:49 pm

i think maybe its just NT based systems caus i get it in 2K also
or maybe its just my system :drinking: :drinking:
Fignutz

Postby Maniac » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:03 pm

Hi Fig,

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Window XP/2K are affected thou. TFR should fix it even thou he saids he can't due not having the operatating system but I think he can obtain any of those easily.
Maniac

Postby TripleA » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:20 pm

Hiya, yeah it works great. The funny thing is that I get a faster frame rate with Mame32k v0.64 and 0.67 than when i'm just using regular Mame32 0.67, and thats even when all the settings are set the same! Theres one thing i've been wondering about though, in Mame32k v0.64 you were able to enable "Hardware Stretch" and set it to either "stretch x2, x3, or x4. This would give the graphics a neat smoothed out effect and it would look a helluva lot better, how ever this option seems to be absent from Mame32 v0.67... and even though i've got "stretch using hardware" checked in Mame32 0.67 it doesn't seem to do anything... does anyone know what to enable to get a similar effect? Thanks.
TripleA

Postby Kurgan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:06 am

For me anyway (even though it kills framerates for some more advanced games) this looks the best:

hardware stretch ON
resolution 1024x768 (trust me on this)
depth 32bit (to match my 32bit color and 1024x768 desktop in win98se)
scanlines (checked)
75% scanlines
fullscreen (of course)
match game refresh rate
triple buffering

(those last two probably are less important, but I use 'em anyway)

Basically what you should end up with is a nice "soft" picture that has perfectly spaced even lightly shaded scanlines going horizontally. It looks remarkably close to a "real arcade monitor look" or at least as close as I've gotten using an emulator.

It doesn't look very good for vecter games or a few of those "tile mappy" Bally/Midway games, but IMHO it looks the best for most of the games.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Maniac » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:12 am

Kurgan,

I thought I told you those settings were not good and was killing your frame rates! The one I told you looks more like what you see in an arcade monitor without the lines. =) Hardware stretch is bad because it uses bi-linear filtering.
Maniac

Postby sentric » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:41 pm

my apologies to anyone if i wasn't able to help make your settings easier since my method is only general.

if you guys haven't tried this yet, concerning frame rates (and i'm assuming that most of you know of this), you could try unchecking the box for 'Auto Frame Skipping' and selecting 'Draw Every Frame.' Unless, you have a slow computer (and I assume that most of you have a fast one) which would then require frame skipping.

btw, rabbit just updated 32k .67 to 0417. check out his page. he mentioned that he fixed the xp bug (maybe?).
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby Maniac » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:30 pm

Sentric,

Thank you for the information. Actaully I would keep the auto-frame skip on no-matter what because you never know what happends.
Maniac

Postby TripleA » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:09 pm

Maniac wrote:Hardware stretch is bad because it uses bi-linear filtering.

Eh, I had hardware stretching on in Mame32k 0.64... Is there any way to use hardware stretching in 0.67?

sentric wrote:btw, rabbit just updated 32k .67 to 0417. check out his page. he mentioned that he fixed the xp bug (maybe?).

Where's the link to download the updated version? I don't see in on the home page :-?
TripleA

Postby Kurgan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:49 pm

The menu options are different from mame32k .64 and .67.

.67 looks more like mame32 (if you've been following the official mame32's).

Anyway, just go into game options and advanced tab.... "stretch using hardware"

Check it, hit okay/apply and you're set.

I don't see the new version on his page (or this page) yet, but keep checking...
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Kurgan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:51 pm

I know what you told me Maniac, and you're right. ; )

Performance wise for online play, your settings are a much better choice.

However, I was just telling him what LOOKS the best (IMHO).

It's like when you get a new FPS game, you crank up the display settings all the way, just to see how good it can look (but of course it plays like crap, so you turn them down for a game). ; )

Actually, even with these its only a handfull of games that have problems with framerates (like the wonderful Violent Storm, Street Fighter the Movie, Ring Rage, more advanced games, etc).
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Kurgan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:57 pm

I see .67 417 (xp fixed, he thinks) posted on TFR's page!
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

PreviousNext

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback