[download]mame32kv0.67

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Postby Fignutz » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:06 pm

Kurgan wrote:I see .67 417 (xp fixed, he thinks) posted on TFR's page!
:drinking: :drinking: now thats some damn good news :D
Fignutz

Postby sentric » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:39 am

Maniac wrote:Sentric,

Thank you for the information. Actaully I would keep the auto-frame skip on no-matter what because you never know what happends.

well, whatever's clever is cool with me.

on the contrary of never knowing what happens, i believe that i have a pretty fast pc (P4 2.4GHz) and a pretty good vidcard (GeForce4 128MB) to know that auto frame skipping wouldn't even come close to happening unless i'm doing something that would also surpass the limit of my 1GB RAM. not that i'm bragging (i'm trying to get a point across, trying too hard most likely), but i have enough to know that i would not need auto frame skipping on my pc. IMO, that option was designed for computers that are slow and have low quality video, which i believe (based on today's technology) that most of you do not have that slow of a computer. unless maybe you're running a P2 450 MHz and a Matrox 8MB vidcard (maybe slower? i wouldn't know off hand other than this which is in fact very slow) or something of that nature more or less. so...in essence of using the 'auto frame skipping' option while you play, the action that goes on in the game and on your screen will tend to keep up with the sound and music and everything else that goes on while it 'skips.' aside from this and if your computer does not fall into the catagory of being 'slow,' i believe that this option is not needed and you got nothing to worry about if you uncheck 'auto frame skipping' and choose 'draw every frame.' i dont know exactly how long it's been, but mame has been out for quite a while and the 'auto frame skipping' option was more necessary way back when mame got started. it's actually quite nice when there's nothing skipping, in comparison from my faster pc to my slower laptop (which matches the 'slow' specs above). i speak from this seemingly minor and unimportant experience and i guess i'm just that type of person who would notice that type of thing.
Last edited by sentric on Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby sentric » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:46 am

TripleA wrote:Where's the link to download the updated version? I don't see in on the home page :-?

just in case no one else mentioned it and if you haven't gotten yet:

Rabbit's Link
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby Kurgan » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:52 pm

Heh, you're kidding right? Even today's top pc's can't run EVERY GAME at 100% speed.

The fact is that some games are NOT YET FULLY OPTIMIZED in mame, and require frameskipping (or lots of patience).

Though, most of those games that are that slow you probably won't want to play much online.

I have a 1.1 ghz (after overclocking) system and 256 mb ram, and GeForce2 32 mb, and yet I still don't get full speed on many games.

Try running the following games with full sound and tell me I'm wrong:

Prop Cycle
Street Fighter: The Movie
Killer Instinct 1&2
Maximum Force/Area 51/Vicious Circle (basically any hard drive game)
Cruisn USA/World
War Gods
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin'/STUN Runner
Basically any polygon game (other than I-ROBOT), etc.

I'm sure people can name others...

One problem is the 3d games don't (and won't) use much HLE and 3d acceleration, so it has to render them all in software, plus drivers are constantly evolving.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby sentric » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:44 pm

i tried the games that you mentioned and you are right about a couple games and wrong about others. out of the 3800+ games (yes, i got all roms up to .67--took me about 2 years to complete), that would only account for a few where it wouldn't matter if auto frame skipping is checked or not due to the fact that drivers and whatever else is still evolving and technology is still on the rise...but...on the most by which a lot are not 3D, auto frame skipping wouldn't be necessary...speaking for myself now realizing that it does take higher end hardware to obtain the luxury of no frame skipping whatsoever. I guess it all depends on how well a person's computer is optimized and/or tweaked to the best of it's ability, like mine that seems to be optimized quite well. Looks to me that the problem could not be dealing with the 'auto frame skipping' option.

i managed to get Prop Cycle (1p plus game lacks sound, drawing every frame looks nice and it's full speed with no apparent problems), Killer Instinct 1 (believe it or not, it's AWESOME for me--full speed and everything), Mortal Kombat 1 - 2 & 3, Street Fighter: The Movie, NBA Jam, NBA Hangtime, WWF WrestleMania, at full speed and sound for both windowed and full screen. Area 51's video runs smooth with minor skips in the sound. There are minor skips in both video and sound for Maximum Force. Vicious Circle and Killer Instinct 2 do run slower than normal speed, but the video is still smooth and only skips in the sound. All of those except for Prop Cycle, I would attempt to play online because I don't have any fps problems with them whatsoever. It would depend on how well the other person's pc is running. My attempt was to help people out with a small option as this and for those of you I didn't help, that would make me lucky (and maybe those who I did help based on this) for not having to skip frames. 'nuff said on my 2 cents and other loose pocket change I've thrown into this. eventually, more and more gamers will experience what I'm currently experiencing.
Last edited by sentric on Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby Kurgan » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:51 pm

I listed those games because with MY SYSTEM, I have problems with them, ie: they don't run at full speed.

I can make them faster by turning off all blit effects, etc, but even then.

Anyway, what was your proposed solution? That we all get p4 2.4 ghz systems with 128 mb video cards and 1 gig of ram?

Heh... gee thanks. ; )

My point was that you don't have to have a "primitive slow system" and can still have a need for auto frameskipping.

If everybody had a system like your's, the MameDev could just remove auto frameskip entirely...

With my current setup, most games run perfectly, and most modern pc games run decently. I plan to buy a Radeon All-in-Wonder 8500 before the end of the year, but that's about all the upgrades I can afford, and that's fine with me.

I don't run XP, so that saves me some resources right there... ; )

We use auto frameskipping, because the people you play with may have trouble reading all the data. Its supposed to help that... regardless of how well it runs on your own end.

I mean, I have cable, and yet, I get lag in games sometimes, and most servers don't let you run with "LAN" or even "Excellent."
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby sentric » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:25 pm

sry Kurgan, re-read my last reply in this thread. i updated it doing a little more testing. my apologies for overestimating the general public, just trying to help out. i'm running windows 2k and I always set my connection to good and never excellent or LAN. i remember reading that it taxes the server much more at an excellent or LAN setting, which could cause people to lag. Hence, a server with everyone running at good would tend to be less laggy depending on how good the server is.

The Radeon 8500 is a pretty good card, I transfered that one to my other computer that I'm running server on for my crew's website. I recommend investing in a GeForce 4 Ti4400--I have the MSI model or at least the 4200 if the 4400 would still be out of your range. thx for the feedback. this has been a very interesting debate. I learn something new, everyday.
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby Kurgan » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:28 am

And I wasn't trying to sound mean either. ; )

It just sounded like you were saying "just buy a new computer" or that's one way you could interpret it. hehe
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby sentric » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:17 am

oh nah, man. I don't mean any disrespect at all. you should see my laptop, heheh. the LCD video screen is like putting your joystick in a bowl of mud. and the frame skipping, it's very much laffable indeed. your computer is solid, no doubt about it. the reason why i spent an arm and a leg on the pc that I built is because i'm a music producer. it's not just for gaming. this was all hard to earn, quite honestly.
sentric
Beat Manipulat0r

Postby Kurgan » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:54 pm

Worst Geek Insult Possible: YOUR COMPUTAR SUX0RZ!!!!!!!!!!111

No, no, I don't care. I meant that it makes more sense to wait for MameDev to improve their drivers than it does to just buy the latest computer to run them.

A few updates after its been emulated, a new game is usually much more playable. Ram makes the biggest difference when it comes to improving speed anyway.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby agumon » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:43 am

Still no one using the updated mame online ! Come on people, the bugs were fixed ! Download it ! :evil:
agumon

Postby Kurgan » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:16 pm

Yeah, these people are stuck in the stone age (mame32k .64, kawaks 1.45)...

and they're not all playing KOF 2k2.

Incidentally, the top games are:

KOF 97
KOF 98
KOF 2000
KOF 2001
KOF 2002
Marvel Vs. Capcom (what?? CPS2 slipping??)
New.r0m -- Winning Eleven 2002 (JAP) - SLPM-86538 <---- wtf is this??

So I guess KOF99 has fallen out of favor with the fanboys (as have "Chat(Not a Game)" and Dnd:SOM)!

We shouldn't care what the masses do, just the other day I saw a server with version .23 (server)!

A few servers are advertising .67 when you enter, which is a good start, and rabbit and the others (and I) are trying, but without it posted on the main page and an announcement in the forums, I think a lot of people won't acknowledge that it exists.

And rumors persist that somehow .67 "isn't as good" and "games don't work" we've got to put a stop to these rumors... (since they're not true)....
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby fivefeet8 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:27 pm

I've got both versions but find myself using mame32k v64 more.. There are still a few strange bugs with the new version and Winxp.. When I try to play offline, the mame32 gui is still there when a game has been loaded.. Isn't it suppose to dissappear? And I don't have window themes on, but the kaillera menu is fucsored.. Same thing with nebula, which is why I don't use them much online.. A lot of Winxp users are probably not using the new version..
fivefeet8

Postby Kurgan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:43 pm

Could be, never underestimate the pervasiveness of the evil Windows XP "os"
; p

Since I don't use XP, I guess there's no fathomable reason to go back.....
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby agumon » Wed May 07, 2003 8:46 am

I don't think XP is evil. I do hate the fact that you can't play old DOS and certain old Win9x games on it though :-?
agumon

PreviousNext

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback