Kaillera dying?

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Postby akuma2k3 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:50 pm

It's not dying but it is getting stale. Hopefully the new games like kof ss5 and svc chaos will bring it back up. Bascially everyone is getting tired of playing the same games. When a naomi emu or dreamcast emu is released(if ever) and had kalliera support i gurantee it will be even bigger then it already was. Games like powerstone 1 and 2 and marvel vs capcom 2 just screams online play!
akuma2k3

Postby xylix » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:14 am

The best arcade r0m emulator available has kaillera in up to version 0.67, and mame is on what, version .78 now? Kaillera has been dead for some time evidently.
xylix

Postby Kurgan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:26 am

The community must have lost interest.

While there are probably those who would be content to play KOFxxx in their current states for the rest of their natural lives, the thing is anybody can compile a new version.

The people who are willing and able to compile new versions of mame32k and release them aren't doing so (TFR isn't the only one who can do this after all, and he wasn't the first).

So yeah, the community is dead, too bad... (unless somebody steps up and releases a new compile).

Kaillera itself hasn't been updated in ages, but that won't stop a person from releasing a new version of Mame32k with the new games enabled.

I think that's what we all want after all...

I guess the point is that this community has been dominated almost from day one NOT by old school and retro gamers, but kids (mainy from Asian countries incidentally) who just want to play recent VS. fighters.

So the KOF/Street Fighter fans don't care because they already have what they want.

Don't bother worrying about Dreamcast emulation, Naomi is a long ways off from being playable (and even then it requires top of the line hardware and forget playing it online without lag, ha!) and its so recent it'll be years before MameDev sanctions it in their releases.

The best DC emulator for the PC to date gets 5 fps on top of the line hardware on commercial games and its NOT YET RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.

CPS3 emulation is a long ways off (encryption you say?) and besides it only covered a handful of games. If you don't care about SFIII you likely won't care about CPS3. Plus the games are huge (CD images) to download and will take a long time to load (see above with GD-ROMs for the Dreamcast games... the Naomi games might be faster, but they'll still be huge file size wise).

Neo Geo games have an advantage because they've been perfectly emulated for many years, plus the games are so rare (to buy) and expensive that people don't mind pirating them and releasing roms (occasionally you get a few spats like with the Razoola thing and KOF99 before that with Mamedev, but you know how it is).

CPS2 likewise has been emulated perfectly for awhile. The only thing that held back those games from playability was the encryption, and that was slowly released because Razoola, who had control of the "CPS2Shock" project decided that instead of releasing the decryption scheme as promised when the project began, he would instead just release file fixes (XOR tables) to allow individual games would work (and even then he forced people to look on other sites to find them, preferring to release them on newsgroups anonymously).

But, now that all the CPS2 games are out, what else is there for VS. fans?

The well of 2-D VS. fighters has virtually dried up. You get maybe one or two new games in that genre a year, and most have opted to go to 3-D or at least partial 3-D (like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2) meaning higher system requirments and more difficult emulation.

I guess just as Vs. Fighters rejuvenated and then burned out the slowly dying arcade scene, they did so with kaillera.

Think of the kaillera community as a microcosm of the arcade scene from 1991-2001.

Sad though, all I want to do is take advantage of the speed improvements and bug fixes in the old school games (ie: anything but the VS. fighters), but since I'm in a minority (likes old school games, can't code c++/c, it seems I'm unlikely to get what I want anytime soon.

The one exception to the "Vs. Fighter craze" thing on kaillera has been DnD: Shadow over Mystara, the #1 game for a long time. Of course it's a recent CPS2 game (relatively speaking). But how many times can you play the same quests over and over? Eventually people moved on.

Winning Eleven (psx game?) was pretty popular for some reason, but I never played it and it was using some bizzaro rare version of epsx that I never used.

Oh well, was fun while it lasted!
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby fivefeet8 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:07 pm

Kurgan wrote:Winning Eleven (psx game?) was pretty popular for some reason, but I never played it and it was using some bizzaro rare version of epsx that I never used.

There is no rare version of epsxe. Epsxe doesn't have it's own network play optoin. It used a netplay plugin which used kaillera. So anyone with epsxe can get the netplay plugin and play emulated psx games online.

There is also N64 games that can also be played online. And with the newly released N64 emulators, 1964 ver.9.9, the netplay for them have gotten better. But few if any people online have an interest in playing N64 games online. Although a 4p game of Mario Kart 64 might be fun. ;)
fivefeet8

Postby agumon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:11 pm

Hey fivefeet i'm interested in playing N64 online. But when I try to launch an game online with the latest 1964.... i get an error with kaillera.dll :-?
agumon

Postby Kurgan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:35 am

My mistake then. ; )

Agreed on the N64 games (and Intellivision and NES). It seems like a few people wanted to play Genesis games online.

See that's my point, people should get to play those games online, kaillera doesn't have to be just for the VS. fighter people.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Heinster » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Kurgan wrote:My mistake then. ; )

Agreed on the N64 games (and Intellivision and NES). It seems like a few people wanted to play Genesis games online.

See that's my point, people should get to play those games online, kaillera doesn't have to be just for the VS. fighter people.

I totally agree.... But many gamers entering the net with kaillera eran't interested in the non fighter games.... I love to take someone on with puzzle fighter or bomberman..... To bad snes emultion sux with the online options they should be ashame not getting any decent emulator run on kaillera..... Man would I love to play mariokart/tetrisattack or any of the other great games :(
Heinster

Postby Kurgan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:06 pm

It's because the primary audience of online emulation seems to be the Korean/Japanese (and anime fanboy profile in the other hemisphere) teenager market, meaning that's the only type of game they're interested in.

With those guys gone we have a few retrogamers but most of them don't seem interested or able to compile a new version of mame32k, so oh well.

To say that online gamers aren't interested in non fighters is silly.

The majority of online gaming is related to RPG's and Real Time Strategy, with First Person Shooters not far behind.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby DT2004 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:58 pm

Just wanted to add my 2 Cents

i would think kaillera is dying cause just the other night i couldnt even mojob play a single game without some1 joining in and spamming the hell out of my PLAYING game & then closeing it.

i guess i been out for a while cause i didnt know people could do that. maybe another glitch or a program of some sort.

i tryed playing again today and the same poop happen. one jerk off called the ONE GREAT SPAMMER said join me to finally get rid of kaillera. LoL all these people have a great amount of time to waste. "Jesus" why couldnt kaillera be like back in the dayz when it was tight and all about playin with skills.

i guess there r alot of children out there in the world
Say Swear!
DT2004

Postby isamu » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:27 pm

Well as of right now, it literally dead! I mean, the list of servers are not coming up AT ALL and has been since ysterday. Hopefully this means that either Berserker or James Costlow is working on their new and improved version and are tweaking it in preperations for the new and improved version.

Crosses fingers...
isamu

Postby morphus56k » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:26 am

maybe TER is waiting for everyone to use MAME.67
morphus56k
56k-man

Postby Kurgan » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:29 pm

Doubtful.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby DT2004 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:00 am

:o
Say Swear!
DT2004

Postby Kurgan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:47 am

Why the surprise? It makes sense doesn't it?

Why would TFR be waiting in the wings, hoping that more people would use his old program?

.67 has only so many games that work. Eventually people get sick of playing with the same bugs and limitations and games and they move on.

The verisons people are using are custom builds that include new stuff like (go figure) KOF 2002, Winning Eleven, etc.

If people got the latest Mame32 build with Kaillera they'd use it. A LOT of improvements have been made in a lot of game drivers. I'd love to play some of those games (which were barely playable before, but now are very polished) plus the new ones that have been added. The few missing 2001-2002 games can be added since they were available before. Just paste in the source changes from .73 into .79. I am not a coder and I have heard the core has changed quite a bit from .67 to .79 so that isn't a walk in the park, but it won't get any easier waiting around will it?

Yeah, I guess he might be pissed that few people (compared to the previous version) used the new version he made and thus he wants to give up, but if that's the case I seriously doubt he's STILL OUT THERE WAITING and as soon as the number of users of .67 reaches a certain number he'll jump out of the woodwork and release a new version.

If he's given up (which I'm assuming he has since nobody's heard from him in many months) which is perfectly his choice, then we need to stop waiting for him and just work on our own versions and release 'em.

Kaillera won't get made if you just wait for him or Christophe. If they were serious about getting this project done (and I understand C- has bigger concerns with working on Winamp which he gets paid to do) they'd have released some new content in these months and years, but they haven't.

So get to work people, if you want to see Kaillera continue!
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby XxBurning FistsxX » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:20 am

All i have to say is..

Kaillera doesn't die,theres just periods of times when not that many people are around at that time.

118 online servers

426 users online at this time Image
XxBurning FistsxX

PreviousNext

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback