This emulator needs kaillera.. Please?

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

This emulator needs kaillera.. Please?

Postby fivefeet8 » Mon May 31, 2004 6:03 pm

http://www.chanka.org/

I can see all the MvC2 fanboys wetting themselves now. Lets just hope and pray the authors of this emulator adds in Kaillera or some type of netplay. :D

Here are some screenshots.. Enjoy.

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51944
fivefeet8

Postby Kurgan » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:21 pm

For DC emulators, it'll be YEARS before these games are playable (note: I don't consider 5 FPS on top of the line hardware "playable").

Second, remember that playing these games online will be a major bore, considering the cpu intensive, slow gameplay.

So I wouldn't bet on it. The "fanboys" have what they want, which is the Street Fighter/King of Fighters games basically perfect online playable already.

MvC2 is great, but it'll be years before that game is on the same level playable with emulators (before you can even think about kaillera support) as say Street Fighter Alpha2 or MSHvsSF.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby fivefeet8 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:10 pm

Kurgan wrote:For DC emulators, it'll be YEARS before these games are playable (note: I don't consider 5 FPS on top of the line hardware "playable").

Maybe you should look at the screenshots first. People with 2 ghertz CPU's are getting a lot better than 5 fps. And on my system, MvsC2 is actually quite playable. Runs around 40 - 60 fps. Certain parts of the game actually go beyone 80 fps. And this is on an Alpha release which there is already news of another release coming soon. Interesting stuff.

I can also play Power Stone1 and 2 at full speed already on this DC emulator. And my system is definately not a top of the line hardware(although it's up there).:D It's also been said that Icuras(another DC emulator) will also be seeing a release and will be faster than this DC emulator. I think DC emulation has come..

BTW. This DC emulator already can run SF3 Third STrike, Capcom Vs Snk1/2, Soul Calibur!!!!, and a lot more.. You can see a compatibility list on that website I linked above with the screenshots. They all run faster than 5 fps btw.. :lol
fivefeet8

Postby Kurgan » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:38 pm

The emulator you speak of makes bold claims, that several games "work perfectly" on the target hardware (2 ghz).

Screenshots of course aren't a very good measure of things, since they don't show you the games smoothness and speed (and can be faked).

MvC2 might a good example though, because essentially it's just a 2D fighting game with a polygonal background. Still, the emulator claims to run "without" HLE and other things. So I'm skeptical until I can test it out myself first hand, no offense.

As to kaillera support, if it's possible, then the emulator creator needs to add it to his code.

Pardon my previous cynicism, but after so many fake emulators and years of development by different people with little progress to show for it, I just couldn't take these claims at face value. I'll check it out!
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Fignutz » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:20 pm

:drinking: :drinking: Would be nice if capcom just ported some of their games to PC with netplay.
Fignutz

Postby fivefeet8 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:45 pm

Kurgan wrote:The emulator you speak of makes bold claims, that several games "work perfectly" on the target hardware (2 ghz).

Screenshots of course aren't a very good measure of things, since they don't show you the games smoothness and speed (and can be faked).

MvC2 might a good example though, because essentially it's just a 2D fighting game with a polygonal background. Still, the emulator claims to run "without" HLE and other things. So I'm skeptical until I can test it out myself first hand, no offense.

As to kaillera support, if it's possible, then the emulator creator needs to add it to his code.

Pardon my previous cynicism, but after so many fake emulators and years of development by different people with little progress to show for it, I just couldn't take these claims at face value. I'll check it out!

I've gotten the emulator running on my system.. Believe me it's freaken amazing for an alpha release. You can see what FPS we are getting by looking at those screenshots. The emulator outputs FPS info on screen. I also posted a few screenshots in that thread. ;) And yes, they are running smooth. Infact they sometimes run faster than 60fps on my system. And yes I know the author needs to implement kaillera, but I did state that this emulator needs kaillera, not for the kaillera author to do it. :D You don't have to take the Author's word for it, but take a look at that screenshots thread and read what the user's of the emulator is saying. ;)

The reason for the long wait for DC emus was because there wasn't much technical documentation of the DC until recently. Hence why this emulator has progressed so fast. It was done in about 3 months. Icuras has also progressed vastly since the documentation of the DC was found.

I just played a few matches of Power Stone 2 running at around 50-60 fps.
fivefeet8

Postby Kurgan » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:07 pm

Be that as it may, screenshots are notoriously unreliable for predicting actual performance, since they can fluctuate or "stutter" despite a high count shown on screen.

Likewise, good performance offline doesn't guarentee good performance online, especially if we're dealing with people using ISO's or cracked discs vs. real discs, etc.

Still, it's something that should be looked into I agree. I'm just not getting my hopes up too soon. ; )

Again pardon my skepticism. I downloaded the emulator and I have many DC games I could try out to see if it's really as good as you say. I don't code, but at least you'll have convinced me that DC emulation on the pc has truly "arrived."
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby fivefeet8 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:05 pm

Look at it this way, if Dreamcast emulation is coming into full force, Naomi emulation might as well. ;)
fivefeet8

Postby Kurgan » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:40 am

Agreed.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby fivefeet8 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:06 am

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t ... ge=2&pp=15

Seems with the advent of these playable Dreamcast emulators, TheGuru has started with naomi cart dumping and decryption. I've also read that some on the mame team have contacted the Dreamcast emu authors.
fivefeet8

Re: This emulator needs kaillera.. Please?

Postby isamu » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:25 pm

fivefeet8 wrote:http://www.chanka.org/

I can see all the MvC2 fanboys wetting themselves now. Lets just hope and pray the authors of this emulator adds in Kaillera or some type of netplay. :D

Here are some screenshots.. Enjoy.

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51944

Excellent post fivefeet! This is fantastic news! Only thing holding it back is it doesn't recognize GDRoms. But I'm sure that'll be fixed sooner or later.

It may not have kaillera support but you know what? It opens the doors for them to give net play support for the games that already have it and were compatible with the DC's modem.

Can you imagine.....

Playing Daytona 2001 Network in Chankast with a PC wheel and 3 three other knuckleheads?

Playing Super Puzzle Fighter II in Chankast if they can some how convert the matching service feature into some kind of net protocol for head to head play? The DC version is even better than the arcade version!!

Man, this bodes well for the emu scene indeed!
isamu

Postby gothic_hobbit » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:54 am

Soul Caliber would be cool to play on kaillera i must admit !
gothic_hobbit
Die-Hard Member

Postby fivefeet8 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:51 am

A new version of this DC emulator is supposedly coming out this weekend. Keep your eyes on that Chankast site. I know I will.
fivefeet8

Postby fivefeet8 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:55 pm

Version Alpha 2a is out now. More stability and graphics/sound bugs fixed. Cool...

I've actually beaten MvC2 using the emulator several times already. :D :o
fivefeet8

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback