Spectator mode

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Spectator mode

Postby RottNKorpse » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:24 am

I have noticed alot of people complaining about the games being closed due to people trying to join when its in play so I was thinking how about making a spectator mode where instead of joining it just lets them watch. Infact if they do watch since they arent using their ping very much by just sitting there they can kinda mooch off of them. Well that might be too much but I do think the spectator mode is a good idea.
RottNKorpse

Postby Kurgan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:57 pm

You can already do this by having more than the max number of people join a game (like say 3 people in a game of final fight). The odd person(s) out just watch. Theoretically you could have 20 people in a game of pacman all sitting there watching 1 guy play I guess.

Also, in many arcade games you can sit there watching until you actually put your credit in and hit start, so you have spectator mode built in.

The thing is joining a game in progress sounds like a great idea, but as of now, you can't do it. You can only 'join' a game to close it if you're trying to crash the game. These people don't actually ever see the game screens, I assume, they just see the chat and issue a command (that only the admin should be able to issue, it's a glitch being exploited).
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby MattCatt » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:17 pm

wouldn't it make the game slow down when others connect to watch?
MattCatt

Postby RottNKorpse » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:49 am

in theory 2 people could slow it down but as long as the viewers aren't dialup users and have a decent ping it wouldnt matter how many people are connected.

If the viewers have broadband and have a good ping (20-80) then you could have 40 users watching and the game would play fine. However if there was a dialup user trying to watch then yes they would slow it down heavily. Most players I play on kaillera with dont allow high pings at all...if they are dialup users its kinda obvious with 300 or higher pings so most of the time they are just kicked out of the connection.
RottNKorpse

Postby Kurgan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:56 pm

They would add some lag, but probably not as much as a regular player, since they wouldn't be sending keypresses to the server (well, I would think they shouldn't be able to do stuff like add coins or something). As long as they aren't pressing any buttons and JUST watching, should be no big deal.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby civilian » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 pm

games being closed due to people trying to join playing games?

Well...hmmm...lemme see. seperator mode. Would not be possible without ruening the existing game. Because, its like...due to the fact that the game is already playing...the new joiner will be majorly desynchronized. Unless kaillera provides some sort of interface to transfer system ram data and register and alu states and everything to the new joiner(like savegame)...which would slow the network down....I would not say its possible.
I slipped up. I lack discipline!
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby RottNKorpse » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm not talking about people who join while its playing I'm talking about being the host of the game but not take up player 1...just host it and watch.
RottNKorpse

Postby civilian » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:24 pm

thats possible already ^^. Try TRAC's version of unofficial kaillera server. It has a swap command which allows you to give control to anyone.
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby RottNKorpse » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:26 pm

oh ok cool thanks...I'm just waiting for PJ64 to add netplay since I just wanna play n64 games anyway. Thanks again for the info.
RottNKorpse

Postby civilian » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:43 pm

always happy to help :)
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby Kurgan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:39 am

RottNKorpse wrote:oh ok cool thanks...I'm just waiting for PJ64 to add netplay since I just wanna play n64 games anyway. Thanks again for the info.

Doesn't Nemu64 already have kaillera support?

See the list of supported emulators on the downloads page. Granted, this list hasn't been updated in a long time, but the Nemu64 page is still around, so why not give that one a try? ;)

http://kaillera.com/download.php

- Bliss (Intellivision emulator)
- NESten (NES emulator)
- Jnes (NES emulator)
- Nemu64 (Nintendo 64 emulator)
- Modeler (Sega System 32 emulator)
- Gens (Sega Megadrive emulator)
- WinUAE (Amiga emulator)
- PCAE (Atari 2600 emulator)
- Kawaks (CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo emulator)

I swear there's others out there too, like a SNES emulator (Zsnes has its own netplay, but it's not Kaillera compatible).
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby gothic_hobbit » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:49 pm

<a href="http://nestopia.sourceforge.net" target="new">Nestopia</a>
<a href="http://pj64k.emulation64.com" target="new">Project64k</a>
<a href="http://goebish.free.fr/snes9k" target="new">Snes9k</a>

I think we need a updated compatible emulator list !
gothic_hobbit
Die-Hard Member

Postby RottNKorpse » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:31 pm

nemu64 is total crap....it's only worth a crap with its memory editor...I dont mess with it aside from that.

1964 is the only emulator that is any type of decent aside from Project64. PJ64 is the best emulator for the N64...1964 can be made good with the right plugins and all that but by default it doesnt compare to PJ64 even though it makes the rest look like a joke.

the problem with 1964 is the fact that Rice, the developer, is no longer going to be working on the emu so it will probably go down even though I think he gave out the source on emutalk.

Project64 is working on adding netplay to the emu but there isnt any word on when it will happen....I'm thinkin it will be end of this year or beginning of next year when they let us know the release for the netplay. I cant wiat but yet I have to...grrr.
RottNKorpse

Postby civilian » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:47 am

Is pj64 open source?
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby fivefeet8 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:29 am

killerCivilian wrote:thats possible already ^^. Try TRAC's version of unofficial kaillera server. It has a swap command which allows you to give control to anyone.

Mame32k already has a button to swap players while ingame. F5. ;) You can host a game of 2 player SF2 with 3 or more players joined, then swap the player controls around.

Other kaillera enabled emu's will need to do it with TRAC's kaillera server though.
fivefeet8

Next

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback