BuddhaTeam! Calling Buddhateam!

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

BuddhaTeam! Calling Buddhateam!

Postby Kurgan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Sorry, I wasn't sure how else to get in contact with you guys (if anyone knows them please forward them to this thread!).

Recently a mame32k build came out called "Mame32plusplus" (and if those guys are around please send them here too!).

http://www.mame.us.tt/

While I am greatly pleased to see this build released, being current up to Mame32 .107 (I couldn't find the source), I am distressed that this custom build doesn't add in the features many of us want.

I do like that Mame32plusplus fixed the chat, though it lags when people chat I think because of the way the text is displayed. I know older versions were able to do this, but HKaillera dropped it for some reason.

What I mean is, MameDev recently revamped the "render system" and also removed many popular options such as scanlines, RGB and other "blit effects" that help the games more closely simulate on a computer monitor, what they would have looked like on a TV screen or arcade monitor back in the day.

Most of these games, without these effects, look very pixelated, or with the "supersai" and "2x eagle" style effects they look too blurry and artificial, not at all like the original games.

I realize Mamedev is going for "accuracy" and "documentation" but that is frankly what these "custom" builds are for, appealing to gamers and things. Let Mamedev focus on their "historical documentation" and let these guys give us features that are fun and popular with gamers and fans.

Anyway, not bashing anyone here, I'm just asking that please, can someone create and distribute a build (and release the source) of Mame32k that has features like HKaillera or Mame32plusplus, being current to the latest Mames (.107u2) AND has the blit effects options?

Failing that, could HKaillera be updated to .106ux source? Because games like Streets of Rage II (Mega Play) don't work online.

Plus, Mame32plusplus has another problem... see, with HKaillera, you could change your dipswitches offline and then start a game and it would be set that way. This was good because there was a problem with certain games, like Combatribes. See this was a 2 or 3 player game, but unlike most games, the programmers forgot to put in a set for "Combatribes, The (US): 3 players for Kaillera" so you have to change the dips yourself. Mame32plusplus hardcodes the dip settings and you can never change them, so you are never able to play 3 player in their emu! :(

Additionally, HKaillera let you load cheats if the host and everyone agreed, which was great, because certain games just weren't much fun without them. I point to a game like Combat School, with it's split screen two player, wherein you couldn't have the other player continue after they "lost" for a rematch. You had to start the whole game over. Likewise for the original Joust. If you wanted to just fight each other, you would run out of lives and then the other player could never continue! So you needed "infinite lives" in order to keep the fun going (or at least a larger number of lives than you can normally get).

Ditto for games like Alien Syndrome or Contra/Super C where if both players died at the same time, you couldn't continue (or had only few limited continues).

I am all for challenge and stuff, but when you play online, it's like playing in the arcade at a party. You and your buddies just keep chucking in tokens until you win. It's about the experience and the comradery, not just whether you can beat the entire game perfectly in one take. So there are a place for cheats. I'm not suggesting that players should be able to use cheats to beat humans in fair competition of course. That is why it should only work if the host has enabled them and everyone has the same cheats file, and if the admin disables cheats, nobody can use them.

Anyway, I think if we can have a new Mame32k with the best features of the last HKaillera (V14) and the new Mame32++ that would be truly awesome!

And please, when this is created (if it is) please remember to include the proper kailleraclient.dll files and provide a link to download the "PSX plugins." These are missing from nearly every build I see nowadays. Or at least provide them as a link on the same website so people can easily track them down. Likewise with the source.

We need to keep quality builds circulating! I don't want to have to have five different mame32k's installed just because none of them have all the good features (maybe that sounds like monopoly, but I'm just saying, look at it from our perspective).

Thanks for listening. If anyone has this desire, I support you 100%!

PS: If the new rendering system is "too hard" and programmers want to wait until 107 is complete and all this is ironed out, how about a release that is current up to 106 cycle? At least we'll get the good multiplayer games in that code... which is missing from the current builds of HKaillera...

Thanks again.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Kurgan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:31 pm

Bump!
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

BuddhaTeam Calling Buddhateam

Postby m.danielSag » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:44 am

once finished with deadline, can you see if this is working? Tha
m.danielSag

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback