Encryption

This is where all archives of old posts go that were related to any versions of MAME that have been obsoleted. This sub-forum is read only.

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Encryption

Postby Mushroom_Retainer » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:22 am

Okay, I'm sorta new to this whole Arcade emulation thing, so forgive me if I'm asking something really stupid that everybody other than me already knows.

I'm sure you all know that some of the later arcade games had some encryption on them to combat piracy and whatnot. I'm sure you all also know that encrypted roms take aeons to load. However, what I don't know is what can be done about this? I've been searching for information on this subject all day, and all I've been able to find is that apparantly another arcade emulator called Kawaks (I think) has an option that lets you save decryption information so you only have to go through that craziness once.

I don't really mind waiting 6 minutes for Metal Slug 3 to load when I'm just playing it solo, but that means that I can't play it online, 'cause Kaillera times me out. I tried using the alleged unencrypted r0m, but that only ended up saving me a couple minutes, which still leaves me with far too much load time to play online.

So, can anyone help me out with this?
Mushroom_Retainer

Postby Fignutz » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:29 pm

:drinking: :drinking: What are your system specs?
Fignutz

Postby Mushroom_Retainer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:16 am

Win98, PIII 450, 128MB RAM

Vodoo3

Yea, it's kinda oldschool, but it's served me well for quite awhile, and it's still doing it's job.

Also, yes, I'm well aware that the length of the load time is partially due to my system specs. And no, upgrading my system is not an option right now.
Mushroom_Retainer

Postby agumon » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:45 am

If its just an issue of roms taking ages to load into memory, then you only need to upgrade your ram. All the games i've tried load fast on my 256mb machine running XP.
agumon

Return to MAME Archives