server for really old games?

This is where all archives of old posts go that were related to any versions of MAME that have been obsoleted. This sub-forum is read only.

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

server for really old games?

Postby B&W arcade » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:21 am

Hi,
I'm new to Mame32k, just found out about it a few days ago and sounds great!

My question....I checked servers online and didn't see any old games mentioned. Does anyone host early games i.e. Space Invaders, Galaxian, etc....? Or does Kaillera only work for selected titles (newer stuff)?
B&W arcade

Postby Kurgan » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:11 pm

I too would love to see a Mame server that plays more than just one on one fighter games and/or DnD:SOM.

Such a thing is a rare treat!

Hopefully more people will realize how much fun these other games can be and start hosting them!
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:44 am

If I'm there, you can bet I'll join ; )

If I can hook up a game of TMNT or something anytime I'm there man!

As to Galaxian, Space Invaders, etc. keep in mind that with these games it's going to be one person playing while the other watches, since they didnt' have simultaneous multiplayer (like many later games).

Still, nothing wrong with that!

Postby B&W arcade » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:31 pm

thanks guys for the info...

Anonymous wrote:
As to Galaxian, Space Invaders, etc. keep in mind that with these games it's going to be one person playing while the other watches, since they didnt' have simultaneous multiplayer (like many later games).

Still, nothing wrong with that!

yeah I know about waiting for other person to play....no one had a problem with it "back in the day", so why not?
:wink:

however, there were games for simultaneous play...one worth mentioning is 4-player Warlords :D Another great one is Rip Off.

Don't get my started on my bizarre Indy 800, Sprint 8 and Tank 8 fantasies.

Questions:

Do older games use less bandwidth, or is it same for all games? And on that subject, could a dialup server actually host a game?

In order to host, you need a dedicated server to be setup, as opposed to games where anyone can host an online game since it's integrated in the game...is that right?
B&W arcade

Postby gothic_hobbit » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:40 am

All games use roughly the same bandwidth since it is only keystrokes that are captured.

As for servers, you can just save the hassle it takes to start your own server by hosting an game on one of the public servers.

As for me, i'm an oldskool gamer myself and I am also sick and tired of seeing all these neogeo fighting games being hosted. Older games are so much more enjoyable online ! Games like Marble Madness, TMNT, Double Dragon, Super Off Road ..... you name it !
gothic_hobbit
Die-Hard Member

Postby MGdaGR8 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:13 pm

I say we bring back all the classic beat 'em up games like x-men, ninja turtles, ninja baseball batman (lol at least i like it), battletoads, the punisher, and all those cool ass old school games like that. I do see them hosted every now and then, but not often.
MGdaGR8

Return to MAME Archives