A feature I really really wish we had back (chat overlay)

This is where all archives of old posts go that were related to any versions of MAME that have been obsoleted. This sub-forum is read only.

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

A feature I really really wish we had back (chat overlay)

Postby Kurgan » Tue May 10, 2005 9:25 am

I remember back in the day with Stretchmame32k etc and some older mame32k versions you could have the chat text display as an overlay (black blocks with white text on them, like Close Captioning on TV). This was cool for those of us who don't play the game in a window, or simply because it's much easier to see than the tiny text to squint at in the chat while playing (not all of us press our noses up to the screen while playing an arcade game on a big monitor!).

Anyway, just a suggestion, if this could be brought back that would rock! As of now, you can't see chat text unless you play in a window, period.
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby yukio » Tue May 10, 2005 10:09 am

um.. I don't know what version you have but lol.. all you have to do on my version is hit the HOME key a few times and you're in business ~_~.. and you hit "T" to talk in the game.. hope this works out for ya~
yukio

Postby Kurgan » Wed May 11, 2005 6:33 am

I'll give it a try, but I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm asking...

Also, when you say "MY VERSION" what version do you mean?

My chat ONLY shows up in the little chat window of kaillera, not over the game screen like old versions.

But like I said, I'll try it...
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby Kurgan » Wed May 11, 2005 6:45 am

Nope, doesn't work. I tried it with HKailleraV5, but I'm sure it doesn't work in any of the other modern versions either. I'm using win2kpro as well just so you know.

You can chat in the kaillera window, which is useless unless you're playing the game in a window small enough for you to watch the chat simultaneously.

Edit:

Doesn't work in MameMore! .84u3 either.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby yukio » Wed May 11, 2005 5:53 pm

I use mame32k with kaillera hack client (0.64) or the harder to find (0.90)
yukio

Postby Kurgan » Fri May 20, 2005 9:15 am

Ok, so the feature has simply been dropped since .64. Well hopefully it will be added back...

You got me there, that's ONE area in which the older versions are nicer.
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Return to MAME Archives