Idea: Kaillera Idiot Tracking System

Post here everything related to the Kaillera SDK (applications announcements/troubles/questions).

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Idea: Kaillera Idiot Tracking System

Postby Mystiq » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:37 pm

Here me out.

Servers are terrible. Yatta yatta. I'm not repeating what everyone knows. Before this thread turns into a flame fest (or dies with no replies), let me say what might help.

The rumor going around is that all the idiots on the Kaillera servers are only a handful of people and so far no one's been able to confirm this. One server bans them but then it goes down and a new server pops up, having to ban them all over again -- or in the case of some servers, the admin doesn't even know what he's getting himself into, such as Old School Fun. Here's the deal:

A couple of major server admins need to cooperate or this is never going to work. What happens is I, of KaiChat and MegaSpam fame, write a log analyzer (console, in C++, so it runs in Windows and Linux and any other OS, with source available). This analyzer attempts to track people by IP address, alternate nicks, bug abuse, etc. The trick is to catch people who join closed games, who spam by any method (on server join, game join; unfortunately chat text is not logged), and who in any way are abusive. The analyzer could even implement a dirty nick catcher. I will not, however, write an analyzer to allow admins to block certain games and I do not suggest this practice come into play should anything come of this: this is wrong. One server did this and it went down in a heap of flames (the admin actually banned people, it was mojob sad).

The analyzer reports out IP addresses along with nick names used by them, done via IP mask (ie, a.b.c.* and a list of all nicks from that IP). Since a server can be hacked if this program is open source, it is probably best to maintain a manual list of offending players.

Extended functionality could be profiling every player, what games they play, what time they log on, how many hours they play, etc. Kaillera could finally have a player database. Furthermore, IP tracking would make alternate nick names a moot point so players might be more inclined to stick with one name because they could be tracked (especially if any sort of real-time tracking is done).

Questions? Comments? Passwords?
Mystiq
Cylian

Postby cubeboy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:23 am

This sounds like a good idea to me. I don't want to ban anyone on my server unless someone is effecting the server speed or efficiency.
cubeboy

Postby Kwaza » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:35 pm

I Say go for it. I just dont agree on people banning people for joining games, The only people that should be banned woulde be the closers and the spammers. but other than that, it sound like a good idea.
Last edited by Kwaza on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwaza
Die-Hard Member

Postby t0qer » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:27 am

I think the kaillera tracking system should get an overhaul before anything. Make people auth to the boards before they're allowed on servers, grab their IP from the phpbb_sessions table.

If they're seen doin bad poop on the servers, ban them from the forums, so it bans them from servers as well.
t0qer

Postby Mystiq » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:47 am

t0qer: the point in this being that it requires no intervention from Christophe, since it seems like he's left us out to dry, except he's kind enough to keep this all running. :)
Mystiq
Cylian

Postby Mufasa » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:19 pm

Why cant christopher just give the source to a trusted member?

I think someone should just make there own Kaillera and keep it maintained.

Kaillera needs a system where to join servers and obtain a server list you need to register either hear or somewhere else, but this would be impossible since christopher is not around to help.
Mufasa

Postby Scarlet spidey » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:01 pm

Because Chris hates Kaillera.
-Boom!
-Kaboom!
-Kasploosh!
Scarlet spidey

Re: Idea: Kaillera Idiot Tracking System

Postby Zobtawil » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 am

tracking system is very useful, just think that Apple using similar system but by internet to find stolen or lost apple's product, nice view by the way 8)
Zobtawil

Return to SDK Development