Linux & MacOS X port of Kaillera Client

Give your feedback on Kaillera, make suggestions for new features or improvements to existing features

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Linux & MacOS X port of Kaillera Client

Postby ant » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 pm

I would like Kalliera client ported to these two operating systems. :)
ant

Mac OS X support.

Postby Gnu » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:36 pm

I'm with this guy. It has been way too long since we've received any replies or have had any of our questions answered. Did anyone notice Kaillera's FAQ regarding porting the client and server to other OS's (particully mac)? It's way out of date. Please!!!!! The new Mac OS X system is nothing short of Awesome, Amazing, and just the best damn thing to happen to mac gamers everywhere (and it continues to improve at a very quick rate). Mac's New Jaguar OS X is more than capable of handling the task to play on Kaillera with PC users. It's time that we see mac gamers getting in on this fun too. For me, the only way I can play with you PC users right now is if I use VPC. And don't get me wrong. I have successfully managed to get it to run well, and PC users don't even have a clue that they're playing with a Mac user (unless of course I tell them). But in order to get good results like mine, every mac user would have to have a high end mac and there really is no need for that. Please Christophe! If your reading this. Please Port your wonderful client and server to Mac OS X. I beg you. You won't be dissapointed!

P.S. If there is any questions you need to ask me if I can help at all, please do not hesitate to email me at gnu72gc@earthlink.net.
Last edited by Gnu on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnu

Postby FuguTabetai » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:11 am

Even if there was a port of the kaillera client to linux / MacOS, you still wouldn't be able to play against users on the windows platform.

People on windows can't even use different builds of the same emulator without desyncing - there is no way different emulators will be able to sync up. That's just a down side to how kaillera works (no way around it though, it is net enabling games that were never coded with that in mind.)

Although, I'm sure Mac-Mac or linux-linux games on the same emulator would be a welcome addition...

fugu
[url=http://FuguTabetai.com/]
[/url]
FuguTabetai
Super-Helper-Helpydude

Mac OS X Support.

Postby Gnu » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:02 pm

I thank you fugu for posting your reply to this topic because one things for sure, it definetely needs recognition and it's something definitely worth while for everyone to enjoy and it most definitely needs to be addressed. As for what you mentioned before about how people on PC's desyncing with different emulators on PC let alone Mac to PC would not work, I definitely agree with you. I have had the experience of desyncing when I would try to play with others when I would use Kawaks with someone else using Mame32k on my Virtual PC (VPC), so I know exactly where your coming from. However, I also agree with you with what you said about having a Mac to Mac client and a Linux to Linux client being a nice addition (my words simply put would be Awesome) to Kaillera, in which is exactly my point (although I know from my previous post I mentioned Mac users playing with PC users - Sorry for that - I should have mentioned at least for us to share the client). As long as I have VPC, I will always be able to play with all my PC friends. But now it's time to finally be able to play with my Mac comrades as well, anywhere and anytime I want. Please, someone, answer our request. If there's something that The Kaillera Team needs in order to make this possible, please ask. I personally, am a diehard Mac OS X Jaguar user that would love to see the day that Kaillera allows us Mac support. And as for all you Linux users out there.... I will try to blow this topic wide open for Mac OS X users in order for our voices to be heard.... and I suggest Linux users do the same thing. Let's show the creators of Kaillera that we really should be a part of this project. Thanks again! :D
Last edited by Gnu on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnu

Postby toqer » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:37 pm

I would do it personally, but a freind told me he thinks i'm a stalker :evil:
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Linux & Mac OS X Support

Postby Gnu » Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:08 am

Toqer, I don't really understand what you mean. Who thinks your a stalker, what does that have to do with this, and how would it really get in the way of you porting this to OS X Jaguar. Hell, I really don't know programing, but man..... I would try porting it myself if I knew how, or if it was easy enough to do (and I know something like that can't be easy). Someone out there has to know how it can be done. Please, someone help. We all need to have Mac OS X support of Kaillera (hell, or even something equivalent). At the present time, none of our emulators that were ported from Mac OS 9 (which some had netplay support), have any netplay support at all anymore, nor is there any Netplay client for Mac emulators whatsoever. What do we have to do to change this from an idea to a reality?
Gnu

Linux & Mac OS Support

Postby Gnu » Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:45 pm

I think, the 1st few emulators that should be ported to Kaillera are "CPSMAME, GEOMAME, and MACMAME. These are the main emulators I would like to see ported to Kaillera First. Once (and/or if, and I know that's a big if) these are sucessfully ported to OS X, than the other emulators can follow little by little after that (if it can go that far, and again.... I know that's a big if). For the most part, a lot of our emulators are merely PC emulators ported to mac, but some are unique, have there own names, and others are pretty much Mac equivalents to what PC users already have. If Kaillera is truly Multiplatform compatible as it claims to be, why isn't their a Mac port of this Client? Kaillera, please grant us some kind of support.
Gnu

Mac OS X port of Kaillera client & server.

Postby Gnu » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:47 pm

We need more mac gamers to join this topic and even pc users that support mac to help make a request to have both their client and server ported to Mac OS X. I know and realize that my voice alone will not make this happen. I ask the Kaillera Community as well as all the moderators and creators of Kaillera to please share their opinion, knowledge, and insight on this topic. I know that I don't realize if this sort of task is extremely difficult or if it's relatively easy. The answer to this is unknown to me right now. If someone out there knows of how difficult or not this is to occomplish, please let us know and also include whether or not you think something like this is still possible. I want to know and all other Mac gamers want to know. If something like this is not possible under Kaillera, can we at least know if it can be possible elsewhere? Any info would be most appreciated. Thank You!
Gnu

Linux & Mac OS X Support Of Kaillera Client.

Postby Gnu » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:59 pm

I know it's been a while since I last posted anything on this topic, but I wanted some time to past to allow others (including the creators and moderators) to post responses, thoughts, and/or opinions on what they think about the whole idea (and not just myself). I've also started this topic on the "Inside Mac Games" web site, hoping to get other mac gamers to join the topic but I think that's my fault 'cause I didn't include a direct link to this topic but I'll try to fix that. I'm gonna try to stay optimistic on this (though, I don't know if it'll help), but I'm still rooting for "Kaillera X" for Mac OS X (just a thought for a name). Brad Oliver (MacMame Creator), was nice enough to post a reply to what I was requesting, advising me that he's tried this himself, requesting a Mac Port of the Client, but received close to no responses or interest whatsoever. Here is a link to the topic at "Inside Mac Games". http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/vie ... php?t=8575 that I started. I just wanna to read it from the creators own words..... Will there be a Mac Port of the Kaillera Client & Server or am I just wasting my time?
Gnu

Postby toqer » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:18 pm

Let's keep this thread movin, this is the most bitchin and whinin i've seen in a while :P

For those of you that have either linux or macosx, you have the option of running wine, have you tried it? Tell me what happens.

http://winehq.org/
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Re: Linux & Mac OS X Support Of Kaillera Client.

Postby FuguTabetai » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:44 am

Gnu wrote:I just wanna to read it from the creators own words..... Will there be a Mac Port of the Kaillera Client & Server or am I just wasting my time?

Christophe hasn't posted in ages. I imagine real life is keeping him busy, and kaillera works well enough that it isn't fun to work on any more. Since I don't think Christophe has a Mac, that even makes it less likely that a mac client / server will pop up. I think you are "wasting your time".

It seems to me like Christophe has lost interest (nothing wrong with that !) in which case I think he should open the source so others could keep on developing kaillera. But I respect his decision anyway - kaillera does still work well enough for what I want to do (play SSF2T when I have spare time.)

fugu
[url=http://FuguTabetai.com/]
[/url]
FuguTabetai
Super-Helper-Helpydude

Postby Gnu » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:55 pm

I just want to thank all of you for helping out and continuing in keeping this thread alive and hot! Special thanks to toqer and FuguT... for your lasted posts which gives me a better idea of what's really going on and what options are out there.

With respect to what FuguT... stated, if this is truley the case with Christophe of him not having time or if he is not interested in supporting the project anymore, then maybe he should consider handing down the project to someone else who can help continue with the development of the project and keep it alive.

In response to toqer's latest post (which deserves a huge amount of special thanks and a round of applause), I haven't been able to try this out (yet, hopefully). However, if my guess is right and this works, the future of kaillera working on both Linux & Mac OS X looks Really Good. Allow me to explain.

Wine (as the Linux/Unix app is known as) allows you to run windows based applications on Unix like OS's. In addition to that, you can also port them to the Unix like OS's as well. With that said alone, it's mind blowing in itself.

Now the good part. Apple has there own app. known as "X11 for Mac OS X" which allows you to run and port X11 (X Windows System) programs (Linux & Unix applications) natively on Mac OS X. If you people are still with me so far, you know where this is leading to and what I'm about to say next.

If it's possible to use the Unix system within OS X to run "Wine" and use that to run and port "Mame32k" or "Kawaks" (and etc.), then it may be possible to use "X11 for Mac OS X" with those Unix ports, to port these apps. to run natively on Mac OS X.

The only problem with this is that it might not be as easy as it sounds, only with time and a little experimentation will tell whether this is possible or not. I encourage all of those out there (especially the one's that are familiar in using these apps.) to test this theory out and post any results that you may find. Unfortunately for me I'm not sure I'm quite capable of pulling off such a task. But I will give it my best shot.
Gnu

well

Postby sonic_tsunami » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:42 pm

I use kaillera with wine.. works there..

and I think that eventually, kaillera should be opensourced, so that problems such as these can be a thing of the past (eg, people making kaillera work fine for everybody, etc)

but, for mac users.. keep using that VPC.. becuase wine is far from being able to run on any other architecture besides x86

it's intel only right now. try looking for a possible project that may be porting wine.... who knows.... this is the reason why opensource would be good for kaillera, would allow more development to kick in.
sonic_tsunami

Re: well

Postby toqer » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:34 am

sonic_tsunami wrote:I use kaillera with wine.. works there..

Liar
toqer
Die-Hard Member

Postby Gnu » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:15 pm

Well, I know it's been a long time since I've posted on this topic. I have been watching this tread from time to time but unfortunately I don't see any progress in this. I did however receive a reply at the inside mac games forum from Brad Oliver (MacMAME Creator), but unfortunately the result was not what I had hoped for. So, I guess the only thing I can hope for now is one of two things (or both) 1. Maybe ask if it's possible to implement Rendevous with MacMAME, or 2. Hope that "Real PC" is all that it's cracked up to be. Well, it was fun to keep this tread hot for awhile, but since it's not reaping any real results, I'm calling it quits. Sorry, if I disappointed any of my fellow Mac Gamers and any other interested parties. Peace!
Gnu

Next

Return to Kaillera Suggestions and Feedback