Mame32k 0.64 & kof2003

This is where all archives of old posts go that were related to any versions of MAME that have been obsoleted. This sub-forum is read only.

Moderators: toqer, gothic_hobbit, civilian, okaygo

Mame32k 0.64 & kof2003

Postby BloodRevolver » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:24 pm

Hello. I know this emu exists because I've seen people host kof2003 games with it. What I want to know is does anybody have this version of Mame32k 0.64 that supports King of Fihgters 2003?

All I could find were a couple of dead torrents for this specific emu and the kof2003 r0m to go with it.
BloodRevolver

Postby dandesousa » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:28 pm

use newest kawaks, can grab it from http://daroms.com/emulators.html

If you classify that as spam, check out cps2shock for download :P

~dan
http://daroms.com - The Place for Da Roms!
dandesousa

I'll never truly understand these "no upgrade" fol

Postby Kurgan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:12 am

I think it's hilarious that people don't want to upgrade from .64, but they are willing to download a modified version of .64 to play a new game!

Silly.

Look, I can understand people hated .67 because it felt "laggy" compared to .64, but honestly, we haven't had that problem in years... the other unofficial builds have long since surpassed it and improved on virtually everything.

The only downside is if you still have an old PC that has trouble with newer versions .64 came out in February 2003... that means your PC is over 3 years or older! time to upgrade methinks... or did you spend all your cash on new game console? Let me guess... since Xbox live! doesn't support these games yet, you're holding onto the old pc?)... and can't run the slightly higher system requirements of the new versions.

And if a person is willing to download the new games and the new "upgrades" for .64, then they can afford to download a slightly larger (the file sizes have increased slightly over time) file size of the new builds.

I mean even if the .64 "with KOF2003" was somehow backwards compatible with the original .64, you would STILL have to download it.. think about it... because otherwise if you wanted to play KOF2003 (or whatever other game has been hacked in) you'd need the new version... it's not like you'll be playing this game solo, after all.

Plus, .64 support is always going to be older and more inferior to modern updates.

Look, even if an update of the game got worse (as sometimes happens from build to build, sometimes games "break" support), it would be fixed by now.

Sorry for the rant, I just think the "no upgrade" people seem a bit illogical in their reluctance to upgrade.

Yes, I understand the frustration with system requirements increasing every year, and new PC's not going down in price, but really, why the snotty, luddite attitude?

Ultimately I think they just reinforce each other... "oh if I upgrade I won't be able to play anymore" because they fear everyone else won't upgrade, so unless all 1,000 or so active kaillera players in the world (half of which appear to be from Korea or are 14 years or younger) upgrade permanently, simultaneously, they won't do it! Argggh.... don't they realize they can run more than one version on a computer??
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby civilian » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Think 0.64 is one of the best mame-kaillera builds out there. Its nice and simple and does not cost a lot of memory. People should not have to "upgrade" their pcs to emulate games that run on less than 12mhz machines and 256kb ram. There was other problems with .67. It was no better than kawaks for desyncing with some popular games.

You can't expect people to upgrade just because you have something new or better. Most things doesn't work like that. Its like music. Try to get your grandparents to listen to something like 3-6-mafia...they will go "OH NOES!!! THE ALLIANS ARE COMING TO KILL US!!" and run away!
I slipped up. I lack discipline!
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Re: I'll never truly understand these "no upgrade"

Postby Master O » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:59 am

Kurgan wrote:I think it's hilarious that people don't want to upgrade from .64, but they are willing to download a modified version of .64 to play a new game!

Silly.

Look, I can understand people hated .67 because it felt "laggy" compared to .64, but honestly, we haven't had that problem in years... the other unofficial builds have long since surpassed it and improved on virtually everything.

The only downside is if you still have an old PC that has trouble with newer versions .64 came out in February 2003... that means your PC is over 3 years or older! time to upgrade methinks... or did you spend all your cash on new game console? Let me guess... since Xbox live! doesn't support these games yet, you're holding onto the old pc?)... and can't run the slightly higher system requirements of the new versions.

And if a person is willing to download the new games and the new "upgrades" for .64, then they can afford to download a slightly larger (the file sizes have increased slightly over time) file size of the new builds.

I mean even if the .64 "with KOF2003" was somehow backwards compatible with the original .64, you would STILL have to download it.. think about it... because otherwise if you wanted to play KOF2003 (or whatever other game has been hacked in) you'd need the new version... it's not like you'll be playing this game solo, after all.

Plus, .64 support is always going to be older and more inferior to modern updates.

Look, even if an update of the game got worse (as sometimes happens from build to build, sometimes games "break" support), it would be fixed by now.

Sorry for the rant, I just think the "no upgrade" people seem a bit illogical in their reluctance to upgrade.

Yes, I understand the frustration with system requirements increasing every year, and new PC's not going down in price, but really, why the snotty, luddite attitude?

Ultimately I think they just reinforce each other... "oh if I upgrade I won't be able to play anymore" because they fear everyone else won't upgrade, so unless all 1,000 or so active kaillera players in the world (half of which appear to be from Korea or are 14 years or younger) upgrade permanently, simultaneously, they won't do it! Argggh.... don't they realize they can run more than one version on a computer??

I think they don't upgrade because of the fact that all these Kaillera-Supported M.A.M.E.s really eat up RAM. I remember once playing Pacman in either HKaillera or Mame + + and it was 80 MBs of RAM. If it takes up that much ram for pacman, I can't even imagine how much it takes for King of Fighters 2003 and other recent similar games...

If you want to provide people with a reason to upgrade to more current kaillera-supported mames, make sure that the amount of ram it uses isn't so high.

I don't know what Christophe did to make .64 use so little RAM (only about 3 or 4 MBs), but all the other versions of mame with kaillera seriously need to follow suit if they expect anyone else to use them.
Master O

Postby Kurgan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Can anyone else verify this? I had no idea!

If they have slow Pc's I could understand. I have a 2 ghz machine (typically only running at 1.6 ghz though due to heat issues in my small apartment) with 256 mb sdram and I don't have a problem running the bigger games on there (at least the popular NeoGeo & CPS2 variety).

However that sounds like a bit of a resource hog if it can be avoided...

This is something that etai should take note of too!

Thanks for that update...

I figured most people wouldn't care about such a thing unless they had truly ancient pc's... or if it produced noticable game lag (which is all most people care about anyway... I could put up with resources being used if the game was smooth online).

I don't know about other people, but when I play a game, I typically just play the game, I don't try to do a bunch of things in the background while doing it.

But yes, efficient processing is good, so he should look into this...!
Set your mojob mame color in display to match your stupid ass desktop color to avoid black screen in netplay, fukaz. t(';'t -TFR, AD 2-20-02
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby civilian » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Well, all the latest mames eat up ram.
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby Master O » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:00 am

Kurgan wrote:Can anyone else verify this? I had no idea!

If they have slow Pc's I could understand. I have a 2 ghz machine (typically only running at 1.6 ghz though due to heat issues in my small apartment) with 256 mb sdram and I don't have a problem running the bigger games on there (at least the popular NeoGeo & CPS2 variety).

However that sounds like a bit of a resource hog if it can be avoided...

This is something that etai should take note of too!

Thanks for that update...

I figured most people wouldn't care about such a thing unless they had truly ancient pc's... or if it produced noticable game lag (which is all most people care about anyway... I could put up with resources being used if the game was smooth online).

I don't know about other people, but when I play a game, I typically just play the game, I don't try to do a bunch of things in the background while doing it.

But yes, efficient processing is good, so he should look into this...!

I also distinctly remember in HK Kaillera that Metal Slug 1 or 2 used at least 200 MBs of ram. In MamePlus++ 1.06, at one point, it was 400 mb of ram.

On the other hand, when I played the same games in WinKawaks 1.57, I remember it being only 80 MBs of ram.

My normal laptop has 1 gb of ram, so that's not a problem for me. However, for people with only 200 - 500 mb of ram, that's not a great scenario.

RAM's probably an issue for most of those people.
Master O

Postby dandesousa » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 pm

I cant understand why emulators of this sort can eat up this much ram. It would be logical for it to eat up the size of the game (uncompressed and decrypted) and drivers for the emulator, but nothing more. It seems like some of these emulators are coded sloppy leaving redundant things lying around in the ram.

I'm not one to complain though, my code is terrible too :P

~dan
http://daroms.com - The Place for Da Roms!
dandesousa

Postby civilian » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:21 pm

It eats up all that ram because it has the entire 50mb+ mojob romlist of all the mojob roms it emulates. I remember compiling a lb2 only version of mame and its executable size came down to 4.something megs. Doesnot matter...the os should keep stuff paged. Its all good...they should make it like it needs 6 gigs of ram just to play mvsc.
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Postby Kurgan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:48 am

Now somebody COULD compile a version of Mame32 that ONLY emulates the 2 player (and up) games.

That might be a good solution. A very small number of people (miniscule) use mame32k to play single player games (spectating or something).

It just means you'd need two copies of mame32 lying around, one for offline and one for online.

But whatever helps. If smaller file sizes and less memory hogging encourages more people to use it, I'm all for that...

I'm just sick of the stupid .64 monopoly that kiddies enforce (mostly out of fearful groupthink and ignorance).

Since Kaillera isn't even TRYING at this point to promote versions besides .67, that needs to change.

At LEAST then (english speaking) people who don't frequent the forum might know about new builds that don't suck!
Kurgan
"Kaillera For Life"

Postby civilian » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:51 am

do it yourself....set up make32k source,,,edit mamedriv.c in mame src and remove all the poop drivers.
civilian
Lord of the Trolls

Return to MAME Archives